As expected, episode 3 of season 3 of HBO’s Insecure titled “Hella Open” delivered and then some. After last week’s episode‘s migration on social media from #TeamIssa to #TeamLawrence, we have started to see the usual think pieces about the emerging #TeamTasha. Yes, Tasha laid it on Lawrence after he ghosted her and made a tepid attempt at explanation. Meanwhile, Issa begins awkwardly exploring other “relationship” options as she begins to accept her dating status while Molly meets and goes on a first date with a brother who may check more than one box on her ever-growing checklist but may not be edgy enough.
Complete with cameos by fellow #ChocolateCardinal Sterling Brown (This Is Us, The People Vs. O.J. Simpson), singer/actor Luke James (The New Edition Story), and rising comedian slash dramatic actor Lil Rel Howell (Moonlight, The Carmichael Show), this episode lays the foundation for future drama for sure. If you are in need of a recap and don’t want to spend the time watching (unlucky you), you can check out a recap here. In the meantime, we assembled the following playlist which will certainly get you through your work day.
Kudos again to the music supervisor, Kier Lehman, and the entire team including show co-creator, Issa Rae, and soul legend Raphael Saadiq and the super Solange Knowles among others. This week’s soundtrack includes the hyped “Real Bitch Problems” TT The Artist, another #ChocolateCardinal Jidenna with “Trampoline,” sexy grooves from “Hump Day” by Miss Eaves, classic G-funk “Let’s Play House” with Tha Dogg Pound, and the millennial bedroom soul of Kyle with a back to back tracks. The list rounds out with a future Quiet Storm entry with “B.E.D.” by Jacques and two quality hood tracks from Buddy and Rico Nasty. Honestly, we really dug all the tracks on this joint. You will be treated with a couple songs you likely will know and several you may not. Another impressive ride.
Season 2: Week 3 “Hella Open” Tracklist (and scene recall)
- TT The Artist – Real Bitch Problems: Opening track while Issa gets ready for work *
- They. – U-Rite: Backing track while Molly and Issa hit the club on a girls night out
- Jidenna – Trampoline: Molly and Issa get their groove on at the bar
- Miss Eaves – Hump Day: Issa can’t seem to find her…um…toy
- Tha Dogg Pound – Let’s Play House: Tasha and family enjoy the family BBQ
- Kyle – Deeper (featuring Belgian): Issa tries to holla at her neigbor *
- Kyle – Doubt It: Issa still on the prowl
- Jacquees – B.E.D.: Issa and neighbor have “relations”
- Buddy – A Lite: Tasha tries to connect with Lawrence
- Rico Nasty – Poppin: Issa checking her dating app
*Not currently available on Spotify (see below).
Season 2: Episode 3 “Hella Open” Playlist
TT The Artist: Real Bitch Problems
It should be noted that these are the main tracks that are featured. There are a number of interludes and instrumentals that we are working on identifying as well. As we make that happen, we will update the playlist.