Title: The Layover
Produced by: DJ Benzi and Don Cannon
Review of The Layover from StorkMusic:
31 Minutes to Takeoff was a bit of disappointment to prior Posner mixtape fans, but was quality music either wayjust not for the same audience. The Duke graduates latest mixtape, The Layover, is back in the realm of One Foot Out The Door and A Matter of Time. With a solid number of tracks (21, to be exact) , the mixtape does not disappoint. Former fans should be pleased.
One of the most anticipated tracks, Traveling Man, which was sampled on One Foot Out the Door, finally makes a full-length appearance and does not disappoint. The teaser was promised to be on the next full-length albumwhich indeed it was not. The same way Traveling Man was sampled, Posners next supposed single Looks Like Sex is offered a minute forty cameo in the lineup.
The album opens with an intro featuring Don Cannon and is followed by a brilliantly executed Wonderwall. Wonderwall has to be one of the most covered songs of all time and Posner is successful in setting his apart from the million covers out there. The chorus is backed by synthetic beats and blips and a signature melodic repetition in the bass.
Shut Up, we can only imagine as what I think men are thinking when they sit in front of the dressing room at Forever 21. Forced into carrying multiple shopping bags and watching clothes come in and out of the dressing room in a blur of colors and does this look good on me? type sentiments. The almost comedic quality of the song does a fair job of audience appeal.
The album is laid out in such a way that it can be played throughout the daypaired with suggestions on how to listen to the songs. Playing the part of a waiter offering wine accompaniments to various courses during a meal, Posner advises you to: drive to this, smoke and drive to this, pull a bad bitch to this, fly to this, pre-game to this, fuck to this, drive in the dark to this, vibe to this, ride to this, chill to this, blaze to this, reminisce to this, rage to this, think to this, or fall asleep to this. An interesting concept already applied to one of lifes vices, why not now to one of the others?
Some of our favorite tracks on this album are Blackout Remix, Henny & Purple, and Rolling in the Deep. I am glad Posner returned to his roots as much as I enjoyed 31 Minutes to Takeoff (namely Gone In September, Do You Wanna? and Cheated).
1. The Layover ft. Don Cannon
2. Wonderwall ft. Big K.R.I.T. (Drive to This)
3. Shut Up ft. Rusko (Drive to This)
4. Henny & Purple ft. Slim Thug (Smoke & Drive to This)
5. Looks Like Sex [Snippet] (Pull a Bad Bitch to This)
6. Rocket Man ft. Bun B (Fly to This)
7. Blackout Remix (Pre-Game to This)
8. Hey Lady ft. Twista (Fuck to This)
9. Marauder Music ft. Blackbear (Drive in the Dark to This)
10. Long Time (Vibe to This)
11. They Call Me ft. Bei Maejor (Ride to This)
12. 21 Days (Chill to This)
13. Attitdues ft. Casey Veggies (Blaze to This)
14. Traveling Man (Reminisce to This)
15. On Fire (Drug Dealer Girl Part II) ft. Machine Gun Kelly (Rage To This)
16. Room 925 ft. Cyhi Da Prynce (Fuck to This)
17. Mittens Up ft. Elzhi & Dusty McFly (Represent Your Shit to This)
18. A Perfect Mess (Think to This)
19. Rolling in the Deep (Fall Asleep to This)
20. The Scientist (Fall Asleep to This)
21. Echo ft. Michael Franti and rjd2 (Fall Asleep to This)